To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.
(NECN) - From the Duchess of Cambridge to Reality-Star Kim Kardashian - there is a slew of celebrities expected to give birth in 2013.
Those stars are certainly under the microscope - particularly when it comes to losing the "baby weight" after giving birth.
Claire Danes garnered plenty of attention at the Golden Globes, where she showed off her slim physique less than one month after giving birth.
What is the average amount of time it takes a woman to get back to their pre-baby size? And how can the average woman successfully lose weight in a healthy way?
Dr. Allison Bryant Mantha, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Mass General Hospital, stopped by "The Morning Show" to share the following pieces of realistic advice:
- One of the best ways to get back to pre-pregnancy (or ideal) weight quickly postpartum is to stick within recommended guidelines for pregnancy weight gain.
- Breast feeding is a great use of postpartum calories - great health benefits for mom and baby.
- Getting back to an exercise routine (aerobic, weight bearing, muscle toning) is recommended as soon as you're cleared by your provider.
- Healthy eating, just as in pregnancy, is key - balanced diet (including whole grains, fruits and vegetables), watching portion size, avoiding the temptation to eat more or eat unhealthily when tired, stressed out or anxious (which can be a *lot* of the time postpartum).
- Plan your postpartum weight loss with a friend - there are often lots of local moms with the same struggle - exercising together, sharing recipes is a great and fun way to get through it together.