Mass. state Fire Marshal has safety tips

To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.

February 9, 2013, 1:24 pm
SHARE THIS POST
Print Article


(NECN) - Mass. state Fire Marshal Stephen Coan dropped by the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency bunker in Framingham to talk about keeping your home safe from some sneaky dangers, including carbon monoxide.

Coan says it's important to ventilate your home.

"I would say no surprises, but history is a good teacher here, and in past major storms that we have had - ice storms, hurricanes, tornadoes - unfortunately as a storm starts to wind down, that we see the type of incidents that we really need to get people to pay attention to, and that's primarily the carbon monoxide issue," he said. "It's when people will be out of power for an extended period of time, I think that's probably a fair assessment with what has happened here. The BBQ grills need to stay outside, the generators need to stay outside. It's really now about ventilation of these devices that are being used for cooking and being used for heating."

Watch the attached video for more.

Tags: snow, Blizzard, carbon monoxide, Stephen Coan, safety tips, Massachusetts Fire Marshal
RELATED STORIES
COMMENTS
Eastern Mass. saw periods of intense rain moving through Wednesday
Severe thunderstorms devastated Tewksbury, Mass. neighborhoods
Yards in Westford, Mass. were full of kindling after severe storms hit much of region
The flight was heading from Burkina Faso to Algie
Arthur T. Demoulas has made an offer with his side of the family to purchase the supermarket chain
The man was MedFlighted after found in Bourne, Mass.