Feds revoke license for Fung Wah bus service

To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.

March 1, 2013, 7:31 pm
SHARE THIS POST
Print Article


(NECN: John Moroney, Boston) - The sign at the Fung Wah ticket counter says it all: Closed until further notice.

The U.S. Department of Transportation has shut down the Boston-based bus line after it says the company stopped cooperating with federal investigators.

The move comes after the discount bus service between Boston and New York was order to remove its fleet of 28 buses from the road because of safety concerns like cracked frames. The company had been using chartered vehicles. But the federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration said Fug Wah has blocked access to safety records - prompting the US Secretary of Transportation to comment: Bus companies that jeopardize public safety and refuse to cooperate with our investigators have no place on the road.

Fung Wah has a checkered safety history, which includes fires, rollovers and accidents. Still, a lot of passengers we spoke with say the $15 fare and service is hard to beat.

Tags: Boston, John Moroney, Fung Wah, Fung Wah bus service, US Department of Transportation, federal safety inspectors
RELATED STORIES
COMMENTS
Appeal from new leaders to drop protest draws outrage from employees committed to ousted Arthur T. Demoulas
Authorities say the victim is a male from North Berwick, Maine
About halfway through their trip, the Greater Boston area teens saw the crisis between Israel and Hamas in Gaza erupt