BU reminding students of alcohol policy following freshman's death

To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.

March 5, 2013, 8:15 am
Print Article

(NECN: Jackie Bruno, Boston) - A Boston University fraternity is on suspension following the death of a freshman. Anthony Barksdale died after being taken from the Sigma Alpha Mu frat house.

No charges have been brought against any students but the fraternity had been suspended. And the school is trying to remind students how dangerous binge drinking can be.

Nineteen-year-old Tony Barksdale had the world at his fingertips. A freshman at Boston University, this Amherst, N.H., native was studying to be an engineer.  But that was all cut short after a night of partying with his Sigma Alpha Mu brothers at this house on Wadsworth Street.

“I think it's really tragic... I mean, he’s a freshman at BU, engineering student, he had a lot ahead of him,” says BU freshman Dominique Baker.

Authorities don't know what caused his death but they suspect alcohol was a factor. Now, Sigma Alpha Mu has been suspended.

“They're really nice guys and I think it could have happened to any fraternity so it’s a shame it happened to them,” says BU senior Shelby Hickox.

Still, some students say they should be suspended.

“They weren't doing things the safe way, just like a reminder to be safe…have friends that are going to take care of you,” says Baker.

The University's Dean, Kenneth Elmore, says the school has met with fraternities and sororities nearly a dozen times this year to explain the alcohol policy. He urged students who need help to ask for it.

The University has sent out reminders to students about the alcohol policy. They have also made services available if students feel they need to talk to someone about their grief.

Tags: Boston University, alcohol , Jackie Bruno, Anthony Barksdale, Sigma Alpha Mu, boston university fraternity, sigma alpha mu bu chapter, dominique baker, shelby hickox, dean kenneth elmore
Authorities say Abigail came home Sunday evening
Tuesday morning hearing focusing on the murder case of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd
Dennis Stanley Jr. of Uxbridge, Mass. was reported to have left his home late Monday night