Police capture suspect in stabbing of Mass. high school student

To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.

April 1, 2014, 2:44 pm
Print Article

7 P.M. UPDATE: Methuen Police confirm that a second suspect, 18-year-old Justin Ramon Suriel, turned himself in. He faces the same charges as Cruzetta.

(NECN: Kathryn Sotnik, Methuen, Mass.) - A student was stabbed in the parking lot of the high school in Methuen, Mass. on Tuesday, and a suspect has been taken into custody.

Methuen Police Chief Joseph Solomon confirms that the victim was stabbed in the buttocks and taken to Holy Family Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

According to Methuen Superintendent Judy Scannell, the victim is a male senior and has been released from the hospital to a parent with superficial wounds.

Scannell says that the victim was approached by three males who are not students of Methuen public schools.

Police say 19-year-old suspect Leivi Jose Cruzetta turned himself in. Cruzetta is being held on $50,000 cash bail.

Police were seeking two persons of interest in connection with the case.

"We spoke with him on the phone," said Solomon. "Based on the investigators talking to him, and the conversation they had, he came to the realization it was in his best interest to turn himself in."

The stabbing took place after school let out. Police say a former student stabbed the victim.

Solomon said that the school was never placed in lockdown and the suspect never presented any danger to the public.

Massachusetts State Police Air Wing assisted in the search, flying over the high school and the nearby woods. A State Police K-9 unit was on the scene, as well.

Tags: Stabbing, massachusetts, Methuen, Kathryn Sotnik, high school stabbing
Many of 71-store supermarket chain's 25,000 employees urging shoppers to stay away until fired CEO Arthur T. Demoulas is replaced
Around 1K people gathered in Copley Square to call for an end to the violence in the Gaza Strip
MIT Officer Sean Collier was allegedly murdered by the Boston Marathon bombing suspects 4 days after the attack