Did Big Papi get paid for Obama selfie?

April 2, 2014, 4:27 pm
SHARE THIS POST
Print Article


(NECN) - Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is taking some heat now that fans are finding out that he might have made a profit off the selfie he took with President Barack Obama on Tuesday.


During the World Series champs' visit to the White House, Ortiz asked Obama if he could take a selfie. He then tweeted out the photo, which quickly made its way across the Twitterverse, garnering nearly 40,000 retweets.

Many compared the selfie to the celeb-filled one Ellen DeGeneres took at the Oscars.

As it turns out, the two selfies did have something in common. Both DeGeneres and Ortiz have contracts with Samsung, and were coached on how to take their famous photos, according to the Boston Globe. Ortiz had signed a new endorsement deal with the mobile provider on Monday.

Samsung told the Globe that when it heard about the White House visit, it worked with Ortiz on how to "share images with fans" similar to the DeGeneres tweet.

A NECN.com poll posted on Wednesday shows that fans are split on what they think about Ortiz's stunt. As of 4:30 p.m., 45 percent of those responding said it bothered them that what seemed like an authentic moment might have been part of a promotion. But the other 55 percent said they thought it was all in good fun.

Tags: red sox, White House, David Ortiz, President Barack Obama, Samsung
RELATED STORIES
COMMENTS
The law addresses the Supreme Court’s decision to strike down the buffer zone law in Mass. that called for a protest-free area
Accident took place Wednesday in Easton, Maine
Axe was not properly secured on dump truck traveling in front of passenger vehicle