Photo courtesy: Derek Gilreath
(NECN: Mike Cronin, Foxboro, Mass.) - Crews battled a three-alarm fire on Lakeview Road in Foxboro, Mass. Saturday night.
The fire broke out at the Lakeview Pavilion function hall, a popular event venue. A wedding with about 150 guests were present when the blaze began.
The Justice of the Peace, Jerry Cibley, says he had just pronounced the couple man and wife when he noticed smoke.
"I originally thought it was maybe a fog machine," said Cibley. "And then we smelled something which wasn't fog."
All workers and attendants were able to exit the building safely as crews arrived on scene.
Foxboro Fire Chief Steven Bagley says the cause of the fire was the careless disposal of a cigarette into mulch.
"They tried so hard to save this building, but it was just fully engulfed," Cibley explained.
The 100-year-old building is a total loss. Crews were still on scene Sunday afternoon to put out hot spots and tear the remainder of the building down.
Dozens from the Foxboro community went to the grounds to see the building one last time.
"It's been around for so long and they actually did renovations to it years ago and it was a really beautiful place. It's very sad for a lot of people," said one Foxboro resident, Michele Landry.
"Really, I'm about ready to cry," Joan Goodwin, another resident, added. "It meant a whole lot to a lot of us."
One of the buildings owners confirmed to NECN that there were over 200 events scheduled at the venue in the next year. He is hopeful to rebuild someday.
, 3-alarm fire
, Mike Cronin
, Walpole Fire
, Lakeview Pavilion