To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.
(NECN: Kathryn Sotnik, Gloucester, Mass.) - It was a tragic outcome Wednesday to a Gloucester, Mass. house fire; 15-year-old Victoria McCabe Schmelzer died at a hospital from fire-related injuries.
The fire broke out at the family's home, a duplex located at 36 Summer Street, Tuesday night.
Gloucester fire-fighters desperately tried to save the 15-year-old from her second floor bedroom and were able to revive her Tuesday night.
However, fire officials confirm she died Wednesday morning at a Boston hospital.
The news hit the tight-knit neighborhood hard Wednesday.
"She was a nice little kid, she really was...it's sad that she's gone," says neighbor John Lefavour.
Another neighbor, David Rich, says she'd be out playing all the time and was an active girl.
Gloucester Fire Deputy Chief Stephen Aiello tells us Victoria attended a special needs school in Peabody, Mass.
Aiello says they're investigating whether all the smoke detectors in the building were working. He says there's some reports that some of the battery operated smoke detectors were disabled.
He also says there was a foam mattress and other combustibles that produced heavy smoke that prevented Victoria from running to safety.
The cause of the fire is said to be accidental. Fire officials say it appears as if some combustibles, paper products were too close to a lamp, which ignited the fire in her older brother's room.
Crews say he also tried to rescue his sister.
Their mother was home at the time.
Both local and state fire officials are investigating.