Oakland man sues after injured by gate at fair

April 24, 2014, 7:35 am
SHARE THIS POST
Print Article


AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) — An Oakland man injured by a malfunctioning starting gate during a harness race at the Windsor Fairgrounds in 2010 has filed a lawsuit after efforts to reach an out-of-court settlement failed.

Christopher Charrier filed suit last week in Kennebec County Superior Court.

The suit says the 43-year-old Charrier was one of five people hurt when the 1,500-pound starting gate towed by a vehicle traveling 35 miles per hour swung into the crowd.

The suit says Charrier suffered a severe head injury and was knocked unconscious. His lawyer tells the Kennebec Journal his medical bills are nearly $100,000.

The suit names the company that leased the gate, the owner of the vehicle and the fairgrounds.

The fair's president says an attorney for its insurance company is preparing a response.

For up-to-the-minute news and weather, be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook.

Tags: maine, Oakland, lawsuit, fair , Christopher Charrier, Windsor Fairgrounds
RELATED STORIES
COMMENTS
More than 60 buildings were damaged; no serious injuries reported
Boston Globe reports the supermarket chain's board of directors only agreed to continue negotiating
Authorities say 34-year-old Nathaniel E. Kibby of Gorham, NH has been charged with 1 count felony kidnapping