State: Benefits given to bombing suspect private

April 25, 2013, 1:41 pm
SHARE THIS POST
Print Article


BOSTON (AP) - The state's welfare agency says it made a mistake when it released information about past benefits given to Boston Marathon bombing suspect, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, and other family members.           

The Department of Transitional Assistance released a statement Thursday saying that it "inappropriately confirmed" information about the family because state and federal laws prohibit disclosure of information about individuals receiving benefits.

On Wednesday, a spokesman for the state Office of Health and Human Services confirmed that Tsarnaev, who was killed in a gunfight with police last week, received welfare benefits until last year when he became ineligible based on family income. The spokesman also said Tsarnaev's parents previously received benefits for a portion of the time they lived in the U.S.           

Gov. Deval Patrick says he has asked officials to make sure the benefits were proper.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Tags: welfare, Boston Marathon bombings, Tamerlan Tsarnaev
RELATED STORIES
COMMENTS
The father of the missing Fitchburg, Mass. boy is speaking out on the possibility that his son's body has been found
There were a record number of participants and a record time for the men's division
Donohue was shot and severely injured in the shoot-out with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects