One Fund Boston holds 2nd meeting on donation distribution

To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.

May 7, 2013, 6:28 pm
SHARE THIS POST
Print Article


(NECN: Greg Wayland) - A second town hall-style meeting was held Tuesday for the One Fund Boston to talk about how monetary donations will be distributed to the victims.

However, a major issue remains: There just isn't enough money for everyone.

One Fund Boston Administrator Kenneth Feinberg began the morning meeting -- a similar forum had been held Monday night at the Boston Public Library's Rabb Forum -- by reminding everyone there were Red Cross volunteers available for comfort and assistance.

"We recognize that there are people in this audience who may find this meeting very challenging and difficult," Feinberg said.

There was no question about that. Among the less than one hundred people in attendance was former Marathon Day Volunteer Susan Furgal.

"I just wanted to find out exactly where they were on the one fund as far as helping all of the victims, because that is what it's set up for," she said.

Was she in need of help?

"I am currently seeking help. I do have a counselor that I am seeing," Furgal said.

Wayne Gilchrist of North Cambridge has volunteered at the Marathon for years. He was peacefully watching events along Boylston Street when hell broke out. He says the bomb blast aggravated his epilepsy and has left him distraught.

"I was blown in the air, smacked up against a wall, banged my head, broke my wrist and the trauma from it, I've been crying every day cause what i saw like flying over my head," he said.

And for Feinberg faces Solomon's dilemma.

"Trying to allocate so much for death, so much for amputation, so much for hospitalization. Maybe out patient treatment," he said.

The $29 million in the fund will be spread thin.

"You should be able to come up with an allocation of funds certainly to compensate those most in need but taking into account the hundred of other claims that may come in and maybe they get a lesser amount," one man said.

Feinberg's responded, "If you were going to give a million dollars to somebody with a horrible double amputation, give them $900,000 so that the outpatient people at least get some amount of money. I hear what you're saying, and we'll have to make that decision."  

And Feinberg is working for free. We asked him how emotionally taxing the whole process is for him.

"Unless you have a heart of stone, it can't help but be emotionally debilitating... and you're under tremendous constraints," he answered.

Claim forms will be available next week, and after that, the issue of proving eligibility will be tackled.

All money is expected to be distributed on June 30.

Tags: Greg Wayland, Ken Feinberg, Boston Marathon bombings, One Fund Boston, Boston Marathon bombing healing process, One Fund Boston monetary donations
RELATED STORIES
COMMENTS
New Hampshire authorities are asking for the public's help in identifying a man who may have been connected to the disappearance of 15-year-old Abigail Hernandez
Case focused on the patronage culture in Mass. state government; feds accused House Speaker DeLeo of trading jobs for votes, which he strongly denied
A verdict has been reached in the federal corruption trial of former Massachusetts Probation Commissioner John O'Brien and two deputies