NTSB: Plane never took off from ground, black box data shows

To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.

June 3, 2014, 3:49 pm
Print Article

According to preliminary information from recovered black boxes, the private jet that crashed into Hanscom Field Saturday night in Bedford, Massachusetts, never took off from the ground, an NTSB official said Tuesday.

The NTSB's investigator in charge, Luke Schiada, also said the plane reached a maximum speed of 165 knots on the runway. All seven on board the Gulfstream IV were killed.

Data from the black boxes indicated a rise in brake pressure and the use of thrust reversers before the crash, and that tire marks on the runway also suggest the crew may have been trying to stop the plane, Schiada said.

Schiada said the majority of the aircraft is still in the gully and investigators pulled the engine out of it around 4:30 p.m. He says the investigation's effort is focused on removing and documenting the wreckage.

The federal agency plans on being at the site of the crash through the end of the week, and then will continue the investigation elsewhere, Schiada says.

Schiada also said additional surveillance footage has been identified at Hanscom Field.

Crews retrieved the cockpit voice recorder and flight data recorder on Monday, and investigators hope they'll reveal the cause of the crash.

The deceased have been identified as the plane's owner, Lewis Katz, who was the co-owner of the Philadelphia Inquirer and and a philanthropist; chief pilot James McDowell of Georgetown, Delaware; co-pilot Bauke "Mike" de Vries, 45, of Marlton, New Jersey; flight attendant Teresa Benhoff, 48, of Easton Maryland; 74-year-old Anne Leeds; 67-year-old Susan Asbell; and Marcella Dalsey, director of Katz's son's foundation.

For up-to-the-minute news and weather, be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook.

Tags: massachusetts, Bedford, NTSB, hanscom field
Many of 71-store supermarket chain's 25,000 employees urging shoppers to stay away until fired CEO Arthur T. Demoulas is replaced
Around 1K people gathered in Copley Square to call for an end to the violence in the Gaza Strip
MIT Officer Sean Collier was allegedly murdered by the Boston Marathon bombing suspects 4 days after the attack