Worcester, Mass. father shot to death in front of his children

To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.

July 22, 2013, 6:28 pm
SHARE THIS POST
Print Article


(NECN: Katelyn Tivnan) - A candle burns in a Worcester courtyard Monday, marking the spot where a man was gunned down Sunday night.
Witnesses say it all happened in front of his kids.

Police responded to the great brook valley housing complex around 9 pm for reports of shots fired.

When they arrived they learned a man was being treated at a nearby hospital for a gun shot wound- he was pronounced dead a short time later.

“Police were able to locate the crime scene at 205 Constitution Ave in the courtyard area and various units were called to the scene,” said Worcester Police media specialist Katie Daly.

Detectives remained on scene Monday morning looking for evidence and talking to neighbors.

“It was pretty scary, I was sad because we're close to him,” said Marymar Lopex. “Part of our family.”

The 28-year-old's name has yet to be released. Lopez says he was with a group of people playing dominoes in the courtyard when he was shot. His two young sons saw the whole thing.

“The door was open,” said Lopez. “We were inside. We heard the shots his son ran inside. He was scared, saying ‘My dad got shot.’”

Lopez says it all started at nearby Roberto Clemente field. She says the victim had been in an argument there before heading to the Constitution Ave. courtyard.

Police say they are investigating whether the incident at the field and the shooting are related. Meanwhile, they are asking the public for help.
If you have any information, contact the detective's bureau at (508) 799-8651.

Tags: massachusetts, Worcester, shooting, Worcester News Tonight, Katelyn Tivnan, Great Brook Valley, GBV, Constitution Ave.
RELATED STORIES
COMMENTS
Boston Globe reports the supermarket chain's board of directors only agreed to continue negotiating
More than 60 buildings were damaged; no serious injuries reported
Authorities say 34-year-old Nathaniel E. Kibby of Gorham, NH has been charged with 1 count felony kidnapping