Cape Cod buzzing over possible shark attack

To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.

July 31, 2012, 6:29 am
Comments(1)
Email
Print
Facebook
RSS


(NECN: Josh Brogadir) - Witnesses say what they saw in Truro was clearly a shark attack -- and fortunately there was a doctor on the beach and people putting pressure on the man's wounds.

A man swimming 1/4 mile out was with his teenage son was attacked Monday.

"It was a shark attack. I mean, it looked like just like what you see in the film -- it was really scary," said Walter Palmer.

What Walter and Katy Palmer say they saw a real shark attack in the waters off Ballston Beach in Truro.

"Between the two of them, a fin about yea big came up and it was torquing and then it was like, 'what did we just see?' It was like out of a movie... but you knew that was a shark," said Katy Palmer.

The man was taken away on a stretcher.

Police say he does not have life threatening injuries, but was taken by ambulance to the hospital.

Images of sharks have been caught around the Cape all summer, from tagging great whites, to a fin seen by a kayaker off Nauset Beach in Orleans.

But until Monday, no one had been hurt.

The sightings have been closer to the elbow, due largely to a thriving seal population off the coast of Chatham.

And so this encounter on the Outer Cape, is not as common.

Still, it's not going to stop summer vacationers from having fun -- on the sand.

Or year-rounder Mark Adams from going for an after work swim.

The enounter has not been confirmed as a shark attack, but all indications point that way.

Tags: attack, Cape Cod, Josh Brogadir, Truro, shark
RELATED STORIES
COMMENTS
Boston Police say the male victim is suffering from non-life threatening injuries
Robert J. Volpe is in stable, but critical condition at UMass Medical Center in Worcester
Threats to Wheatley Hall were made Thursday and Tuesday; 29-year-old senior Dean Beckford has been arraigned and held on $20K bail