Boston brothers indicted for allegedly trying to defraud One Fund Boston

To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.

August 29, 2013, 2:31 pm
Print Article

(NECN) - A pair of brothers from Boston have been indicted on charges they attempted to defraud The One Fund Boston of $2 million by submitting a false claim on behalf of their dead aunt, Attorney General Martha Coakley announced Thursday.

Branden Mattier, 22, and his brother, Domunique Grice, 27, both of the South End, were indicted by a Suffolk County Grand Jury on one count each of Conspiracy to Commit Larceny over $250, Attempt to Commit Larceny over $250, and Identity Fraud.

“These defendants allegedly orchestrated a scheme to defraud The One Fund of more than $2 million, money that was donated by many generous people and intended for the real victims of the Marathon attack,” AG Coakley said.

Mattier was previously arrested at his home on July 2 when an undercover state trooper presented him with a simulated check made out for $2.195 million.

In June, The One Fund Boston referred the matter to the AG’s Office after it suspected that the claim submitted by Mattier and Grice on behalf of their aunt, Onevia Bradley, was false.  
The AG’s investigation revealed that on May 7, Mattier and Grice attended a Town Hall meeting held by The One Fund at the Boston Public Library on behalf of their supposedly injured aunt. Afterwards, Mattier spoke with the media about the importance of their aunt being compensated immediately because the hospital bills were coming in.

Mattier followed-up on May 29 by sending an email to The One Fund asking if his aunt could make a claim as a double amputee if the amputation was expected to be performed in the future. In June, The One Fund received a claim form, put together by Mattier and Grice, along with a letter allegedly from the chief of trauma services at the Boston Medical Center affirming their aunt as a double amputee. The letter was dated May 2, a full 27 days before Mattier’s email to The One Fund saying their aunt might lose her other leg.

Investigation also revealed that at the end of June, the brothers attended a private ceremonial closing of a memorial erected in Copley Square and a complimentary dinner at the Seaport Hotel, both meant only for bombing victims and their families.

According to officials at the Boston Medical Center, their aunt never received treatment at the hospital in connection with the Boston Marathon bombing nor did the letter originate from the trauma center. The investigation further revealed through public records that Onevia Bradley had actually died more than 10 years earlier.

As part of the investigation, Mattier allegedly signed for a letter on July 1 informing him that his aunt had been awarded $2.195 million from The One Fund Boston. The letter informed Mattier that he would receive the check by courier the next morning, July 2. State police arrested Mattier after delivering the simulated check.

The investigation also showed that Mattier and Grice had scheduled an appointment to test drive a new Mercedes-Benz E350 the same day the check was scheduled to be delivered. As a result of Mattier’s arrest, they did not attend that appointment.

Mattier was arrested on July 2 by Massachusetts State Police assigned to the AG’s Office. He was arraigned on July 3 in Boston Municipal Court and is currently being held on $20,000 cash bail. They are due to be arraigned in Suffolk Superior Court at a later date.

Tags: Boston, Martha Coakley, fraud, conspiracy, One Fund Boston, branden mattier, domunique grice
New Hampshire authorities are asking for the public's help in identifying a man who may have been connected to the disappearance of 15-year-old Abigail Hernandez
Case focused on the patronage culture in Mass. state government; feds accused House Speaker DeLeo of trading jobs for votes, which he strongly denied
A verdict has been reached in the federal corruption trial of former Massachusetts Probation Commissioner John O'Brien and two deputies