Kenya mall remains under siege for 3rd day

To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.

September 23, 2013, 6:04 pm
SHARE THIS POST
Print Article


(NECN/NBC News: Steve Handelsman) -  U.S. officials say there's no confirmation that Americans are part of the Al Shabaab terrorist team responsible for Saturday's brutal Kenyan mall attack.

Al Shabaab claims American citizens were among the gunmen that assaulted the Westgate Mall in Nairobi, killing more than 60 people and wounding dozens more.

Somalis in the U.S. say it's possible.

"They target youth impressionable kids, lure them into Somalia," says Somali diplomat Omar Jamal.

An estimated 40 to 50 young Somali men from the Minneapolis-St. Paul area have traveled to Africa on U.S. passports to join the jihad and receive training by Al Shabaab.

The whereabouts of many are unknown.

One Twitter message identified specific Americans among the terrorists in Kenya, but the Somali government says that feed was fake.

Tags: Nairobi, Kenya, Americans, hostages, mall, Steve Handelsman
RELATED STORIES
COMMENTS
Hundreds of first responders to celebrate Danny Nickerson's 6th birthday; 100,000 international cards, packages arrived for him earlier this week
In return, the Boston Red Sox will gain two minor-league pitchers
The evacuation comes during security deterioration as fighting intensifies