To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.
(NECN: Kristen Carosa) - When emergency strikes, first responders in Worcester County will have a new resource at their disposal.
Dunkin Donuts announced 250-thousand dollars for a new state-of-the-art canteen truck.
A canteen truck like this one will soon be ready to assist first responders in Worcester County.
The vehicle will provide on scene relief 24 hours a day when emergencies strike.
“It's going to mean no more cold hands in the winter, no more firefighters thinking they are dead at a fire in the summer, and there's a bathroom, so if someone needs to use the bathroom it's there,” says Worcester firefighter Steven Favulli.
Worcester's vehicle is in construction but a similar one from Providence made an appearance during Tuesday's announcement.
Dunkin Donuts has donated $250,000 to Box 4 Special Services, a non-profit volunteer organization consisting of first responders in the Worcester area, to build the new truck.
"It’s a much needed service; this canteen truck will keep fire fighters refreshed and at the top of their game, they are professionals and anything we can do to support them we are going to do,” says Robert Branca with the Dunkin franchise.
The truck will have a bathroom and will serve meals and drinks.
It will be staffed by volunteers including firefighters, police and emergency medical technicians.
"We'll be there for any fire, hazmat, natural disaster, anywhere there is a long term incident, we'll be there helping you out,” says Angelo Bongovio with Box 4 Special Services.
The canteen truck from Providence has been assisting first responders in the Worcester area for more than a year.
Planners had been discussing brining a new canteen truck to Worcester since February.
"We felt the time was right that Worcester and the Worcester area should have its own identity and a truck that we can roll out to help others in Worcester county and beyond in our area," says district 1 city councilor Tony Economou.
The truck will be ready for service at the beginning of next year.
Deputy Chief Geoffrey Gardell says this type of response vehicle is long overdue.
"I've been out many cold nights and hot days, we would have loved to have a refreshment handed to us in the rehab area, this will finally bring it to us."