Ex-Mass. mobster seeks 8-month trial delay

To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.

October 26, 2012, 1:46 pm
SHARE THIS POST
Print Article


BOSTON (AP) - Lawyers for Boston mobster James "Whitey" Bulger have asked a judge to delay his trial by eight months.
Bulger, the former leader of the Winter Hill Gang, is charged with playing a role in 19 killings. His trial is scheduled to begin in March, but his lawyers have said they cannot be ready by then because they are reviewing more than 300,000 documents turned over by prosecutors. They have asked that the trial be moved to November 2013.
Bulger's lawyers say in court papers filed Friday that the current trial date infringes on Bulger's constitutional rights to effective counsel and due process.
Bulger fled Boston in 1994 and was captured last year in California.
The defense says Bulger was an FBI informant who had immunity.


(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Tags: Whitey Bulger, James Bulger, trial, delay
RELATED STORIES
COMMENTS
National Journal says Rep. Jim McGovern made the remarks during a House hearing on Speaker Boehner's planned lawsuit against President Obama
A verdict has been reached in the federal corruption trial of former Massachusetts Probation Commissioner John O'Brien and two deputies
Mass. State Police say Lidissette Rosairo was last seen Saturday, July 19, in Brockton