Suffolk Downs casino defeated in East Boston

To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.

November 5, 2013, 9:18 pm
SHARE THIS POST
Print Article


(NECN/AP) - Suffolk Downs says it will reassess plans to build a resort casino at the 78-year-old thoroughbred race track after East Boston voters rejected its proposal.

In a statement, Chief Operation Officer Chip Tuttle thanked Revere voters for supporting the project in a separate referendum. He also thanked the people of East Boston for allowing the company to state its case.

“We want to thank our neighbors in East Boston for allowing us to state our case, for good jobs, for their residents, for local businesses, for collaboration. It has been an ongoing debate and we received lots and lots of support from people in East Boston, and we’re very thankful for that as well...We are reassessing based on tonight’s results what we can do to move forward.”

Tuttle said Revere’s mayor is interested in trying to see how he can affirm Revere’s positive statement on this.

“We’re going to look at that. We’re going to talk about how we may be able to continue to move forward here.”

Suffolk Downs had reached host community agreements with officials in Boston and Revere, but its recent decision to sever ties with operating partner Caesars Entertainment created some uncertainty over the project.       

The move came after Suffolk Downs was briefed on concerns raised during the commission's background check of Caesars.

Suffolk Downs had been hoping to compete for the sole eastern Massachusetts casino license allowed under the state's 2011 gambling law.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Tags: East Boston, Suffolk Downs, East Boston casino, suffolk downs casino
RELATED STORIES
COMMENTS
They said their "strong preference" is to have the company's associates return to work
He also reportedly had sexual conversations with several other teenage customers
Scott Brown spoke of Jeanne Shaheen's stance on immigration at HALO Maritime Defense Wednesday in New Hampshire