Fire destroys home in Richmond, Vt.

December 18, 2013, 5:01 am


RICHMOND, Vt. (AP) — A Vermont homeowner trying to thaw frozen pipes in the subzero temperatures this week sparked a fire that destroyed his trailer in Richmond.

Richmond Fire Chief Tom Levesque says the man was using a portable propane heater, which started the fire on Summer Street Tuesday morning.

The man and his dog were uninjured.

Levesque says in cold weather make sure your heating system has been tuned up, don't use any open flames to thaw pipes, and instead use a hair dryer or some other device.

Tags:
RELATED STORIES
COMMENTS
Police are investigating a fire at a shed full of Avon Little League equipment at Sperry Park in Avon, Connecticut early Wednesday morning
Philip Chism is charged with attacking a female DYS worker while awaiting his trial in the death of Colleen Ritzer
The body was found in Waterbury, Conn. on a small street with abandoned lots