To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.
7:30 p.m. UPDATE: According to the Associated Press, about 140 customers were left without gas Friday evening.
(NECN: Katelyn Tivnan, Shrewsbury, Mass.) - Firefighters respond to a fire on Colonial Drive in Shrewsbury, Mass. on Friday afternoon after a gas main ignited.
NSTAR crews were working on the main around 1 p.m. when it caught fire, sending 25-foot flames into the air.
A back ho at the scene also ignited, but, thankfully, no one was inside it at the time.
“Only issue we had was shutting off the gas because the gas had to be shut off before the fire could be put out,” said Captain Aaron Roy, fire captain of Shrewsbury Fire.
Firefighters say there were only minor injuries to one of the workers and no houses were damaged.
However, residents on the street were asked to remain indoors until the fire was put out.
It took crews about half an hour to get the fire under control.
“All the gas that was escaping was being consumed by the fire so no extreme risk as far as from homeowners stand point,” Captain Roy explained.
“It's unbelievable- just doesn't happen around here,” said Richard Gonzales who lives nearby.
Captain Roy does say it could have been much worse, as crews were working in the trench just before it burst into flames.
“Luckily, back ho operator noticed issues with the pipe and had the crew get out of the hole and shortly after it ignited, so good thing he was paying attention,” concluded Captain Roy.