<![CDATA[NECN - ]]>Copyright 2017http://www.necn.com/feature/rhode-island http://media.necn.com/designimages/clear.gif NECN http://www.necn.comen-usWed, 26 Apr 2017 17:35:04 -0400Wed, 26 Apr 2017 17:35:04 -0400NBC Owned Television Stations <![CDATA[At Least 30 RI 911 Calls Impacted After System Malfunction]]> Tue, 25 Apr 2017 12:52:07 -0400 http://media.necn.com/images/213*120/911+Generic.jpg

Between 30 and 40 calls made to 911 were impacted in Rhode Island Monday night after a malfunction that lasted an hour. 

According to necn affiliate WJAR, the technical issues began around 7:55 p.m. and resolved around 8:55 p.m. 

The issues prevented callers from communicating with dispatchers. 

Residents were sent a reverse 911 call to notify them when services were restored. 

State police say the malfunction was a result of a software glitch; however, experts are still working to identify what caused the initial failure and how to have the emergency service's backup system automatically start when there are similar issues in the future.

"We are very concerned that the 911 system did not operate as expected," Lt. Col. Kevin Barry said. "We recognize that Rhode Islanders expect and deserve a 911 system that is fully operational when an emergency arises, and we will do everything in our power to ensure uninterrupted access to 911 in the future."



Photo Credit: FILE]]>
<![CDATA[Man Faces Several Charges After Hours-Long Standoff]]> Mon, 24 Apr 2017 11:05:16 -0400 http://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Michael+McVeigh.jpg

A man is facing multiple charges after a nearly 3-hour standoff outside his Rhode Island home. 

The Warwick Police Department said it spends hours on Saturday night negotiating with 63-year-old Michael McVeigh to surrender after responding to reports that he was firing a gun at people fleeing the home. Police also say the officers saw him fire a round before retreating into the home. 

He eventually surrendered at about 10:30 p.m. Saturday. 

He has been charged with two counts of domestic assault with a deadly weapon and one count each of domestic simple assault, domestic disorderly conduct, refusing to relinquish a telephone and firing in a conduct area. It's not clear if he has a lawyer. 



Photo Credit: Warwick Police]]>
<![CDATA[Homeland Security Agents Arrest RI Man on Fraud Charges]]> Fri, 21 Apr 2017 15:16:19 -0400 http://media.necn.com/images/213*120/handcuffs14.jpg

A Rhode Island man was charged on four federal crime charges after being arrested earlier this month for allegedly duping a number of banks out of more than $100,000.

Opeyemi Abdulahhi Orekan, a citizen of Nigeria, was taken into custody on April 10 by Department of Homeland Security agents who say he was involved in an organized fraud ring that used fake Nigerian and Ghanan passports and false identities to scam banks out of thousands of dollars.

The federal government is charging him with bank fraud, passport fraud, identify fraud, and access device fraud, originally reported by affiliate NBC10’s Investigative Team.

According to DHS investigators, Orekan used nine different identities to open bank accounts at branches of Bank of America, Webster Bank, and Santander to deposit counterfeit checks and withdraw funds. Money was then sent to an individual in Nigeria. One account had a reported $37,000 in losses.

“Orekan has been engaged in lengthy pattern of fraud that has been perpetuated across at least 10 different financial institutions,” says Keith Holleran, a special agent with Homeland Security Investigations, in an affidavit filed in U.S. District Court in Providence.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Lee Vilker told the court that investigators have found evidence including passports that were discovered in a ceiling crawl. A bag filled with passports was also found in an old, rolled-up carpet found by the property manager of one of the apartments where Orekan resided. The property manager reported the discovery to the FBI.

The judge denied Orekan’s request that he be released to his family members with electronic monitoring.

]]>
<![CDATA[Mass. Man Charged in RI Pharmacy Stabbing Held on $100K]]> Fri, 21 Apr 2017 13:50:15 -0400 http://media.necn.com/images/213*120/imageedit_1_3982792597.jpg

A Massachusetts man charged with randomly stabbing an employee at a Rhode Island Rite Aid pharmacy is being held on $100,000.

Police say Jacob Gallant, 41, of Westport, stabbed 18-year-old Alyssa Garcia at least eight times in March. She survived the attack.

He was arraigned in court Friday on charges of assault with intent to murder, according to affiliate WJAR.

Gallant was ordered to undergo a mental health evaluation.

Prosecutors argued for his bail to be set at $200,000.

It's not clear when Gallant’s next court appearance will be.



Photo Credit: Warwick RI Police Department]]>
<![CDATA[Mass. Teen Critically Injured in RI Crash]]> Tue, 18 Apr 2017 14:55:20 -0400 http://media.necn.com/images/213*120/ambulance-generic-day-95470778.jpg

A Massachusetts teenager was critically injured after crashing on Route 146 Tuesday morning in North Smithfield, Rhode Island.

The driver, an 18-year-old woman from Sutton, lost control of her car on the northbound highway, hitting the median before crashing into another car shortly after 10 a.m., according to Rhode Island State Police.

That teen was taken to Rhode Island Hospital with critical injuries. The driver of the other car, a 23-year-old woman from Central Falls, Rhode Island, was hospitalized for minor injuries.

Both northbound lanes of Route 146 were closed after the crash, with traffic being diverted via Pound Hill Road until around 12:30 p.m.

Neither patient's name has been released. It's unclear if there will be charges.

The cause of the crash remains under investigation.



Photo Credit: FILE/Getty Images]]>
<![CDATA[1 Killed in Rollover Crash in RI]]> Tue, 18 Apr 2017 06:23:37 -0400 http://media.necn.com/images/213*120/BOST_000000005634476.JPG

One person was killed in a rollover crash in Scituate, Rhode Island, early Tuesday morning. 

According to affiliate WJAR, the crash happened around 1:30 a.m. near William Henry Rd. 

The driver, who has not been identified, was the only one in the vehicle. 

The incident remains under investigation. 



Photo Credit: WJAR]]>
<![CDATA[Man Finds Mystery Goodbye Letter in Restaurant]]> Mon, 10 Apr 2017 11:10:16 -0400 http://media.necn.com/images/216*120/Providence+Mystery+Letter.JPG

A Rhode Island carpenter is searching for the author of a three-decade old letter he found on a construction site, penned by a grieving girl bidding adieu to the family's restaurant.

Ron Brophy found the letter while renovating Nico Bella's Family restaurant in Rhode Island, NBC affiliate WJAR reported.

The letter was written on a classic Guest Check pad sheet in 1982 by the 13-year-old daughter of the restaurant's owner.

“My name is Tracie. I am 13 years old. My mother bought this restaurant when I was five. Now she is selling it. So I grew up in this restaurant and I think I'm losing my best friend." 

She continues, "Remember me, the year is 1982 and it is September. Goodbye Duck Soup, I love you, please take care of yourself." 

Brophy said he’s having trouble reading the last name on the note.

"Everything is pretty much legible except for the last name. It looks like Scorpio to me," Brophy told WJAR.

Duck Soup was sold in the 1980's and then Eddie & Sons moved in before Nico Bella took over the space. Daniel and Debbie Crenca, the current owners, said they hope to find Tracie "so we can meet her and show her around."



Photo Credit: WJAR]]>
<![CDATA[Deaf Patrons Complain Movie Theater Won't Turn on Captions]]> Sun, 09 Apr 2017 21:39:49 -0400 http://media.necn.com/images/213*120/GettyImages-82136685-MovieTicketGeneric.jpg

A group of deaf and hearing-impaired adults and children say a Rhode Island movie theater refused to switch on the captioning so they could follow along with Disney's "Beauty and the Beast."

The Providence Journal reports about 18 hearing-impaired people attempted to see the film at the Showcase Cinemas at Warwick Mall on Saturday afternoon.

Organizer Tim Riker says the group arrived unannounced and requested theater employees activate the captioning. But a manager refused, suggesting it wouldn't be fair to other patrons who had not paid to see a subtitled movie.

The group left without seeing the film.

Riker said the group wants state lawmakers to approve pending legislation requiring certain theaters accommodate hearing and sight-impaired customers.

A spokesperson for Massachusetts-based National Amusements, which owns the Warwick theater, didn't immediately comment.



Photo Credit: Getty Images/Tetra images RF]]>
<![CDATA[Medicare Patients Being Warned of Fraud Scam]]> Sat, 08 Apr 2017 12:46:02 -0400 http://media.necn.com/images/213*120/medicare2.PNG

Rhode Island's attorney general is warning about a scam artist posing as a representative from the state's health insurance exchange to get personal information from Medicare patients.

Peter Kilmartin says his office was alerted that Rhode Island Medicare patients were receiving phone calls from someone claiming to be a representative of HealthSource RI.

He says the male caller requested personal information, including the patient's Medicare number.

Kilmartin is reminding residents to never provide that number to anyone over the telephone. He says it can be used to set up fake businesses to bill Medicare for health-related items that are never provided to the Medicare subscriber.

Kilmartin says his office confirmed with HealthSource RI that the agency never contacts people over the phone to ask for such information.



Photo Credit: Telemundo 39]]>
<![CDATA[Mass. Officer Arrested on Child Porn Charges by RI Police]]> Thu, 06 Apr 2017 20:20:29 -0400 http://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Richard+Woodhead.jpg

A Massachusetts police officer has been arrested on charges related to a child pornography investigation by Rhode Island State Police and federal authorities.

The officer, identified as 54-year-old Richard Woodhead of South Attleboro, is a member of the Attleboro Police Department.

Woodhead was arrested by Homeland Security agents working with the Rhode Island State Police Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force after a court authorized his home to be searched, according to the office of acting U.S. Attorney Stephen Dambruch of Rhode Island.

Woodhead faces federal charges in Rhode Island for allegedly possessing child pornography, receiving child pornography and enticing a minor to engage in sex activity.

The ICAC Task Force is continuing to investigate. Woodhead is due in court for a bail review on April 12.



Photo Credit: Mark Stockwell/The Sun Chronicle]]>
<![CDATA[3 Killed After Car Crashes Into Telephone Pole]]> Thu, 06 Apr 2017 08:14:44 -0400 http://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Pawtucket+RI+Crash+4-6.jpg

Three people were killed after a car crashed into a telephone pole in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, early Thursday morning.

The crash happened on Wolcott Street and caused the car to split in half.

According to affiliate WJAR, there were five people in the car at the time of the crash.

There's no word on the extent of the other two surviving victim's injuries.

National Grid was on scene working to repair the pole.

One business in the area lost power as a result of the crash.



Photo Credit: WJAR]]>
<![CDATA[Rhode Island Man Arrested for Road Rage Death]]> Wed, 05 Apr 2017 19:16:36 -0400 http://media.necn.com/images/213*120/mitchell+savard.jpg

A Rhode Island man was arrested Wednesday for the road rage-related death of a box truck driver in Johnston, RI on March 30, according to state police.

Mitchell Savard, 41, of Woonsocket was charged with driving to endanger resulting in death, among other charges.

The incident, which occurred on I-495 north, began when Savard allegedly cut off a tow truck and proceeded to tap his brakes repeatedly before stopping in the center lane of the highway, blocking the tow truck's path.

Police said the tow truck was forced to stop short to avoid hitting Savard's car, and this is when the box truck - driving behind the tow truck - crashed into the back of the stopped vehicle.

Erik Salazar, 23, of Brooklyn, New York was driving the box truck. Police said he was pronounced dead at Rhode Island Hospital.

The box truck's passenger, Andy Salgado, also 23 and from Brooklyn, sustained major injuries and is reportedly still in critical condition at the same hospital.

The driver of the tow truck, 28-year-old Trevor Armstrong of Bristol, Connecticut suffered minor injuries.

Savard was uninjured, according to police.

He was arraigned at Rhode Island's 3rd District Court Wednesday morning.



Photo Credit: Rhode Island State Police]]>
<![CDATA[Parents Call for Superintendent's Resignation Amid Issues]]> Wed, 05 Apr 2017 07:48:12 -0400 http://media.necn.com/images/216*120/Warwick+RI+Supt+Issues.JPG

Parents in Warwick, Rhode Island, are calling for the superintendent's resignation after numerous safety issues at multiple schools in the district were brought to light.

According to affiliate WJAR, Dr. Philip Thornton, the superintendent, apologized for the lack of communication with parents about the recent safety issues.

One of the major issues was that school officials realized fire alarm systems at Norwood and Holliman elementary schools weren't working in late February.

However, parents were notified until a month later.

There were also sewage backups at Veterans Memorial Junior High School.

Despite parent's beliefs that Thornton should resign, he has said he will not step down.



Photo Credit: WJAR]]>
<![CDATA[Baby in Critical Condition; Parents Charged With Child Abuse]]> Tue, 04 Apr 2017 11:07:20 -0400 http://media.necn.com/images/213*120/prov1.jpg

A Rhode Island couple is facing child neglect charges after their 3-month-old baby was found with critical injuries in their home.

According to WJAR-TV, 40-year-old Olalekan Olawisi and 33-year-old Arinola Olawisi are both expected to be arraigned Tuesday on child neglect charges. Their baby was found injured Monday afternoon in their Providence home.

Providence police said the baby was found by firefighters with broken bones, and is in "very critical condition." The father, Olalekan Olawisi, reportedly called 911. The cause of the injuries has not yet been determined.

Additional charges are possible.



Photo Credit: Providence police]]>
<![CDATA[2nd Suspect Arrested in Connection With RI Woman's Murder]]> Tue, 04 Apr 2017 09:37:56 -0400 http://media.necn.com/images/208*120/Selena+Martinez.JPG

Police in Bristol, Rhode Island, have arrested a second person in connection with the murder of a woman who was found dead in her home in February.

According to affiliate WJAR, Selena Martinez, 21, was taken into custody and appeared in court Monday.

She is charged in the murder of 66-year-old Eudora Gustafson of Bristol, a long-time fire department volunteer who was found dead in her home on Feb. 10.

Martinez' boyfriend, Raymond Paiva, 24, was previously charged with murdering Gustafson, his grandmother. Paiva is currently being held without bail. 

Police said they believed Gustafson was suffocated by her grandson with the help of Martinez. 

Martinez was originally a person of interest and charged with theft and conspiracy for being in possession of a stolen car, jewelry and a checkbook on Feb. 10. 

She was ordered held without bail Monday. 



Photo Credit: Bristol Police]]>
<![CDATA[Woman Charged in Connection With Infant Daughter's Death]]> Mon, 03 Apr 2017 11:08:53 -0400 http://media.necn.com/images/214*120/Willow+Ramos.jpg

A Warwick, Rhode Island, woman is facing a charge of cruelty to or neglect of a child in connection with the death of her 7-month-old daughter in February. 

According to WJAR, court documents show Mariah Ramos pleaded not guilty in March. 

Officials found Ramos’ daughter Willow unresponsive in their home on Airway Road. She was taken to Hasbro Children’s Hospital, where she was pronounced dead. 

Ryan Beeley, Willow’s father, was then arrested and also charged with cruelty to or neglect of a child. He has been out on bond since March. 

Both Ramos and Beeley are set to appear in court on April 13.



Photo Credit: WJAR]]>
<![CDATA[Natural Gas Leak Shuts Down Portion of Highway]]> Thu, 30 Mar 2017 08:27:28 -0400 http://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Providence+gas+leak.jpg

A natural gas leak closed a portion of Interstate-195 in Providence, Rhode Island, Wednesday night.

Rhode Island State Police said the leak was in the area of Allens Avenue and Eddy Street, which was also shut down for a period of time.

National Grid arrived to the scene to shut down the leak but the cause was not yet determined.

No injuries were reported.

Just before midnight, I-195 was reopened.



Photo Credit: WJAR-TV]]>
<![CDATA[Man Accused of Abusing 5-Month-Old Baby]]> Mon, 27 Mar 2017 20:03:35 -0400 http://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Kristofer+Bernier.JPG

A 25-year-old man has been arrested after allegedly slapping a 5-month-old baby several times in Woonsocket, Rhode Island, according to NBC affiliate WJAR.

Authorities responded to an East Street home Sunday to find the infant boy unconscious and unresponsive with facial bruising.

The child was taken to Landmark Medical Center before being sent to Hasbro Children's Hospital. His condition was not clear.

According to WJAR, Bernier claimed the baby had fallen off the couch. Police, however, believe Bernier had slapped the baby repeatedly because he would not stop crying. Police say Bernier told them he had "lost it."

Bernier faces charges of first-degree child abuse. He was arraigned Monday and held on $25,000 bail with surety.



Photo Credit: Woonsocket Police via WJAR]]>