A fire in Malden, Massachusetts claimed the lives of a husband and wife on Tuesday night.
The fire broke out in a 4-unit building at 30 Perkins Ave. shortly after 11:30 p.m.
Investigators said the man, who was found on the first floor, was pronounced dead at the scene. The second victim, a woman who was found on the second floor, was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital with serious injuries where she died Wednesday afternoon.
The names of the victims have not been released. Neighbors said they were an elderly husband and wife who had lived in the area for years.
The building sustained heavy damage from the blaze.
State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey and Malden Fire Chief Kevin P. Finn said the cause of the fire was the improper disposal of smoking materials.
“Sadly, this fire reminds us of how important working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to give people early warning of danger,” Ostroskey said.
Authorities added that there were no working smoke or carbon monoxide alarms in the home.
“This fire is a terrible tragedy for the family and the community. I urge every resident of Malden not to go to sleep tonight unless all their smoke and CO alarms are working,” Finn said.