Fire Marshal: Frying Pan on Stove Started Deadly Apartment Fire | NECN
Maine

Maine

The latest news from around the state

Fire Marshal: Frying Pan on Stove Started Deadly Apartment Fire

Authorities say the blaze in an apartment located over a garage on Besbill Street was reported at about 2 a.m. Thursday

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Fire Marshal: Frying Pan on Stove Started Deadly Apartment Fire
    necn

    The Maine Fire Marshal's Office says a frying pan left on a stove started a fire that killed a man in Ogunquit.

    Officials say firefighters responding to the blaze at 2 a.m. Thursday found the body of 54-year-old Mark Barnard in a bedroom. Firefighters prevented the fire in his apartment over a garage from spreading to the attached home.

    Officials say Barnard was a partner in a sign and graphics business in Wells.

    Steve McCausland of the Maine Department of Public Safety says smoke detectors were in the home but it's unknown if they were in operating order. It was the sixth fire death this year in Maine.

    For up-to-the-minute news and weather, be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook. Sign up for our new breaking news email alerts by clicking here and download our free apps here.