Crews in Manchester, New Hampshire, responded to two separate fires during New England's Thanksgiving storm, the town's fire department confirms.
Around 2 a.m., Thursday, crews responded to a report of a fire at 40 Magnolia Road. The homeowners stated they had started a fire in their fireplace earlier in the night after they lost power. They later awoke to smoke detectors sounding and determined something was not right with their fireplace. Investigation yielded that the fireplace ignited the surrounding walls. Firefighters extinguished the fire before it extended out of the room with the fireplace. No one was injured and damages were estimated at $20,000.
Crews responded to another fire at 275 Manchester Street around 5 a.m. The entire second floor of the dwelling was engulfed, resulting in $80,000 in damages. The family and their pet dog made it out of the home safe.
The Manchester Fire Department says they responded to 192 calls Wednesday night, more than four times their average volume of calls.