Carbon Monoxide Scare Causes Evacuation in Waltham, Mass.

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    The St. Mary’s Religious Education Center evacuated 50 children; 17 children were hospitalized (Published Sunday, Jan 26, 2014)

    (NECN: Mike Cronin, Waltham, Mass.) – The deputy chief of Waltham Fire Department has confirmed that 50 children were evacuated from the St. Mary’s Religious Education Center in Waltham, Mass. due to high carbon monoxide readings.

    Of the 50 evacuated, 17 of those children were transported to local hospitals due to symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Other parents are driving their children to the hospital on their own.

    Additionally, 4 adults were transported to the hospital.

    This was just a precaution; all of them are expected to be okay.

    “Everybody was scared and freaking out, and they didn’t know what was going on,” said Amber Castriotta, 9.

    The deputy chief of Waltham Fire explained what could have caused the high levels of carbon monocide.

    “Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of burning. So the boilers were running. So there was a blockage in the chimney or a cracked fire chamber, that would explain why we have such high levels of carbon monoxide,” explained deputy chief Michael Quinn.

    It is unclear if St. Mary’s will hold their scheduled classes during the week. The incident remains under investigation.