3 Hospitalized After Fire Suppression System Malfunction | NECN
Connecticut

Connecticut

The latest news from around the state

3 Hospitalized After Fire Suppression System Malfunction

(Published Monday, Sept. 26, 2016)

Three people were sent to the hospital after a fire suppression system malfunction at a gas station in Deep River went off, according to the fire chief.

The system released a white powder at the Cumberland Farms at 177 Main St.on Monday and the fire department was dispatched at 12:33 p.m.

"Although the cause of the malfunction has yet to be determined, it has been confirmed that no fire took place," s statement from Cumberland Farms says.

White said a few customers who were pumping gas at the time were taken to the hospital as a precaution.

"We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience this has caused to the community and to our customers," White said.

The fire chief also said there did not appear to be a fire.

About 250 pounds of the sodium bicarbonate-based chemical was released, DEEP official said.

"It was horrible they were covered with baking soda basically. Just really head to toe. A couple of people inhaled quite a bit and those are the people that were taken away," First Selectman Angus McDonald said.

Officials said the Cumberland Farms store was cleared to open at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday.  

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS