Boston St. Patrick's Day Parade Organizers Filing Lawsuit - NECN
Massachusetts

Massachusetts

The latest news from around the state

Boston St. Patrick's Day Parade Organizers Filing Lawsuit

The lawsuit comes after Mayor Marty Walsh announced that the parade would use last year's route again due to public safety

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    (Published Monday, March 14, 2016)

    Organizers of South Boston's annual St. Patrick's Day parade are planning to file a lawsuit in an effort to bring back the parade's original route.

    The lawsuit comes after Mayor Marty Walsh announced that the parade would use last year's route again due to public safety.

    The parade was shortened last year because some streets were made impassable by record-setting snowfall.

    Boston Police say there was a more than 50-percent drop in EMS medical calls and a 40-percent drop in police calls last year.

    Organizers say the shortened route cuts out historic sites and key neighborhoods.

    Parade organizer Timothy Duross said the city never consulted with the South Boston Allied War Veterans Council on the shortened route and never gave a reason.

    An attorney for the organizers says the mayor has destroyed half the parade and inconvenienced half a million people.

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android