Authorities say a boy was injured after falling into a fire pit in Norfolk, Massachusetts.
Fire Chief Cole Bushnell says the fall happened around 8 p.m. Sunday.
The boy, no older than 10, tripped backwards and fell into the pit, which is about 4' in diameter, after he was startled by a popper thrown from the patio.
When crews arrived, the boy's mother carried her son out to the ambulance.
The boy was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries including burns to his backside.
Officials say his injuries would have been more severe if he mother did not put her son in the pool.
Norfolk Fire Chief Cole Bushnell said there will be no charges or citations for the use of fireworks.