Investigators: No Evidence of Arson in Massive Cambridge Fire - NECN
Massachusetts

Massachusetts

The latest news from around the state

Investigators: No Evidence of Arson in Massive Cambridge Fire

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Arson has been ruled out as the cause of Saturday's massive 10-alarm fire in Cambridge. (Published Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2016)

    Arson has been ruled out as the cause of Saturday's massive 10-alarm fire in a Cambridge neighborhood, but investigators are still considering "potential heat sources."

    The State Fire Marshal's office says the fire started at or near 35 Berkshire St. before destroying or damaging 16 homes and buildings, including a former church that had been convetered into condos, and destroying several vehicles parked along the street. So far, at least two homes considered too dangerous to be left standing have been demolished.

    Officials say 125 people lost their homes in the blaze.

    Earlier, a fire official told us investigators have finished examining forensic evidence at the scene, but continue to gather information and interviews as part of the ongoing investigation, which could take weeks to complete.

    Investigators Say 10-Alarm Fire Was Accidental

    [NECN] Investigators Say 10-Alarm Fire Was Accidental
    Investigators are still trying to determine the exact cause of Saturday's massive blaze in Cambridge, Massachusetts, but say the cause is accidental.
    (Published Monday, Dec. 5, 2016)

    Governor Charlie Baker is expected to visit the devastation on Monday.

    Cambridge's mayor is recommending those who would like to help displaced residents to make a donation to the Mayor's Relief Fund at Cambridge City Hall. Donations can also be made online through the mayor's GoFundMe page.

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android