Child Cooking in Kitchen Caused Fatal Fire | NECN
Maine

Maine

The latest news from around the state

Child Cooking in Kitchen Caused Fatal Fire

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Child Cooking in Kitchen Caused Fatal Fire
    WCSH

    Investigators say a fire that claimed the life of a 9-year-old boy in Hermon, Maine, was caused by a child cooking in the kitchen while the parents were away.

    Steve McCausland from the Maine Department of Public Safety said Tuesday that a pizza box was ignited by one of the stove's burners. He said the July 7 fire was ruled accidental.

    Killed in the blaze was Wyatt Parker of Levant, who was spending the night with two cousins.

    Officials say 10-year-old Ashlyn Parker suffered from smoke inhalation and another cousin escaped unharmed to summon help from a passing motorist.

    The fire broke out while the parents were running errands. Investigators could not find a working smoke detector but the 10-year-old survivor says she heard one. 

    For up-to-the-minute news and weather, be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook. Sign up for our new breaking news email alerts by clicking here and download our free apps here.