Fire crews say a massive four-alarm fire in Lawrence, Massachusetts, that broke out early Thursday morning and impacted neighboring buildings was caused by homeless people using the abandoned home.
The fire, which displaced 29 people, broke out along Sumner Street just before 3 a.m. and impacted six buildings.
According to firefighters, a fire sparked in the back of the abandoned building.
Four firefighters were injured battling the fire. None of the residents were injured.
Mayor Daniel Rivera says the city was scheduled to be in court Thursday to force the owner of the abandoned building to tear it down. He says he's spent the last two years trying to get the abandoned building made safe or torn down.
The building was known to many in the area as a "shooting gallery" for drug addicts and a spot where homeless people found shelter.
Nearby resident Alex Malave said, "It actually gives some relief to see it cleared out. [It] makes a difference on the whole entire block."
Fire officials say the first building affected by the fire is considered a complete loss.