A 76-year-old woman has died in a house fire in Massachusetts, officials confirm.
Middlesex County District Attorney Marian Ryan and State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey said Carol Gionet was found dead inside her home on Baben Road in Hudson after a fire on Wednesday.
According to Ostroskey's office, smoking materials were the cause of the fire, which started near the spot where Gionet's body was found.
Firefighters were called to the home on Baben Road after a home health aide found the fire around 10:30 a.m.
"The fire consumed all the oxygen in the airtight home and eventually self-extinguished," Hudson Fire Chief John Blood said in a statement. "Sadly, it appears the resident was overcome by the heat and toxic gases."