The fire department in Springfield, Massachusetts, says two separate fires that happened overnight Monday were caused by careless cigarette disposal.
According to necn affiliate WWLP, the first fire happened at a home at 66 Mattoon St. around 11 p.m. Monday.
Firefighters found a man unconscious on a mattress. He was taken to a hospital for smoke inhalation.
The second fire happened at 121 Robert Dyer Circle around 2 a.m. Tuesday.
The resident went to a store and returned to find his living room on fire. There were no injuries in the second fire.