FD: Accidental Explosion Caused Fire | NECN
New Hampshire

New Hampshire

The latest news from around the state

FD: Accidental Explosion Caused Fire

An injured teen accidentally caused the explosion that led to Tuesday's fire on Grand Street in Somersworth

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    FD: Accidental Explosion Caused Fire
    File Photo

    Fire officials say an accidental explosion sparked a blaze that injured an 18-year-old man at an apartment complex in southeastern New Hampshire earlier this week.

    Fire Chief Keith Hoyle tells Foster's Daily Democrat that the injured teen accidentally caused the explosion that led to Tuesday's fire on Grand Street in Somersworth.

    Hoyle says the man was "involved in something in his bedroom" that caused the explosion. No further explanation was provided.

    The victim, a high school student, was found outside the apartment building when firefighters responded around 4:40 p.m. He was taken to a hospital in Dover before being flown to Boston for advanced treatment. An update on his condition wasn't available.

    The fire caused approximately $75,000 worth of damage.

    Police are investigating the incident.

    For up-to-the-minute news and weather, be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook. Sign up for our new breaking news email alerts by clicking here and download our free apps here.