Fire Causes Significant Damage to 130-Year-Old Home | NECN
Massachusetts

Massachusetts

The latest news from around the state

Fire Causes Significant Damage to 130-Year-Old Home

Firefighters were called to the East Street duplex on Thursday night

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    (Video courtesy: Scan Weymouth) Initial reports suggest an unattended lit cigarette is to blame for sparking a two-alarm fire that caused significant damage to a 130-year-old home in Weymouth, Massachusetts. (Published Friday, Sept. 16, 2016)

    Initial reports suggest an unattended lit cigarette is to blame for sparking a two-alarm fire that caused significant damage to a 130-year-old home in Weymouth, Massachusetts. 

    Firefighters were called to the East Street duplex on Thursday night following reports of the blaze that began in a first-floor bedroom. The homeowner and a tenant each escaped without injury. 

    The flames quickly spread and the fire tore its way through the home's second floor and attic. Fire officials say crews were able to knock down the bulk of the blaze in about an hour. 

    The first-floor apartment is considered a total loss. Fire officials estimate the blaze caused between $150,000 and $200,000 in damage. 

    The official cause of the fire has not yet been released.


    Stay with necn for up-to-the-minute news and weather