Firefighter Hurt When Leg Gets Stuck in Burning Building - NECN
Connecticut

Connecticut

The latest news from around the state

Firefighter Hurt When Leg Gets Stuck in Burning Building

A Hartford firefighter stepped through the floor while battling a blaze on Cabot street. (Published Friday, May 22, 2015)

A firefighter battling a blaze on Cabot Street in Hartford sent out a call for help Friday morning after his leg went through the floor.

"We've got a firefighter down on the first floor," a member of the fire department can be heard saying over the scanner. "Mayday on the first floor."

Officials said firefighters on scene were able to rescue their colleague after he became trapped in the multi-family home at 20 Cabot Street.

"Firefighter's been freed. We're making our way out," the transmission continues.

Kesha Coleman, who fled her smoky third-floor apartment, saw the injured firefighter emerge from the building.

"They moved fast. They were doing their job and they got him on a stretcher and got him to the ambulance," Coleman recalled.

Hartford Fire Chief Carlos Huertas said the firefighter was taken to Hartford Hospital for a medical evaluation. He suffered only minor injuries and no other residents were hurt.

Firefighters arrived shortly after 8:30 a.m. to find heavy smoke and fire shooting from the six-unit building. Fire officials said flames were contained to the first floor and were quickly brought under control.

Damage was contained to one unit of the building, displacing two people, fire officials said.

"Material things come and go but you can't replace people, you know?" Coleman said.

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS