Hut Fire Near Mountain's Peak Ruled Accidental - NECN
Vermont

Vermont

The latest news from around the state

Hut Fire Near Mountain's Peak Ruled Accidental

The hut, located atop Mount Mansfield, is owned and managed by the Vermont Department of Forest

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Hut Fire Near Mountain's Peak Ruled Accidental
    FILE

    Vermont State Police have ruled that a Christmas Eve fire that destroyed a 79-year-old hut situated near the peak of Vermont's tallest mountain was accidental.

    The Burlington Free Press reports Trooper Todd Ambroz reported Tuesday that the blaze appeared to have been caused by an error in the operation of the historic Stone Hut's wood stove.

    Ambroz says he couldn't find anything "intentional or malicious" in investigating the fire, which was first noticed by a Stowe Mountain Resort employee around 6:30 a.m. on Dec. 24.

    The hut, located atop Mount Mansfield, is owned and managed by the Vermont Department of Forest, Parks and Recreation. Officials are optimistic that it can be rebuilt.

    The hut wasn't rented to anybody at the time of the fire. No injuries were reported.

    For up-to-the-minute news and weather, be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook. Sign up for our new breaking news email alerts by clicking here and download our free apps here.