Man Indicted for Fake Election News Release - NECN
New Hampshire

New Hampshire

The latest news from around the state

Man Indicted for Fake Election News Release

The email falsely said that one of the candidates had dropped out

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Man Indicted for Fake Election News Release
    Getty Images

    A New Hampshire man has been indicted on voter suppression charges after sending out a fake news release earlier this year saying that a candidate for a House seat in a special election had dropped out of the race.

    Carl Gibson, 28, of 26 Summit St., Concord was indicted by a Merrimack County grand jury on charges of voter suppression and attempted voter suppression. Both charges are felony offenses carrying a maximum sentence of 3-1/2 to 7 years in state prison and a $4,000 fine.

    The indictments allege that Gibson "knowingly attempted to induce, or induced" voters to refrain from voting in the May 19, 2015, special election for state representative in Rockingham District 32, representing Candia, Deerfield, Northwood and Nottingham.

    Gibson allegedly issued a false press release on May 14 saying that Republcian Yvonne Dean-Bailey was dropping out of the race, leaving voters with the impression that the special election was uncontested. 

    Bailey went on to win the election by a close margin over Democrat Maureen Mann.

    Gibson worked on Mann's campaign. He told the Concord Monitor that he "probably had one too many beers" before sending out the false email.

    For up-to-the-minute news and weather, be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook. Sign up for our new breaking news email alerts by clicking here and download our free apps here.