Massachusetts Fatal House Fire Caused by Smoking | NECN
Massachusetts

Massachusetts

The latest news from around the state

Massachusetts Fatal House Fire Caused by Smoking

The fire in a Greenfield home that killed four people was caused by smoking

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Valeria Gonzalez

    Authorities say a fire in a Greenfield home last month that killed a longtime Massachusetts State Police employee and three members of his family was caused by smoking.

    State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey and local officials said Thursday that there were no working smoke alarms in the home and blamed the Sept. 25 blaze on "the improper disposal of smoking materials."

    Killed in the fire were Brian Tower, a longtime state police radio maintenance technician; his wife, Florenda Tower; her son, 28-year-old Raymond Wood; and Wood's son, 5-year-old William Paul Clark.

    Brian Tower had worked for the state police since 1988.

    Investigators found that the fire originated in the first-floor bedroom of the single-family home and residents in the second-floor bedroom were trapped by flames.

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android