Neighbor Rescues Elderly Couple From Fire - NECN
Connecticut

Connecticut

The latest news from around the state

Neighbor Rescues Elderly Couple From Fire

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Neighbor Rescues Elderly Couple From Fire
    NBC 7

    A neighbor helped rescue an elderly couple after a faulty light on the outside of their garage sparked a fire that damaged the roof and electrical system of their Stratford home on Wednesday night.

    The Stratford 911 center received a report of the fire at 178 Porter Street at 7:09 p.m. and firefighters were told as they were heading to the scene that an elderly couple had gotten themselves out. They would later learn, however, that a neighbor helped the couple out before firefighters arrived.

    When fire crews arrived, they found heavy smoke coming from the garage and attic.

    They got the fire under control by 8:05 p.m., but building officials deemed the house uninhabitable until repairs can be made to the roof and electrical system.

    No injuries were reported.