Officials: Bagel Shop Fire Caused by Cigarette in Mulch | NECN
Massachusetts

Massachusetts

The latest news from around the state

Officials: Bagel Shop Fire Caused by Cigarette in Mulch

Officials say the nearby parking lot had evidence of other improperly discarded cigarettes

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    John Guilfoil

    Fire officials say a blaze that consumed a bagel shop in Newburyport, Massachusetts, prompting firefighters from Massachusetts and New Hampshire to respond, was caused by mulch ignited by a cigarette.

    State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey said Friday that investigators found no signs the June 28 fire was intentionally set. They concluded "improperly discarded smoking materials" likely landed in a mulch bed located against the deck of the bagel shop, starting the blaze.

    Officials say the nearby parking lot had evidence of other improperly discarded cigarettes and neighbors told investigators there had been previous fires in the same mulch bed in recent days.

    Firefighters from about a dozen communities in Massachusetts and New Hampshire had responded to the fire, which damaged Abraham's Bagels and Pizza and a neighboring law office.

    4-Alarm Fire Destroys Bagel Shop, Law Firm

    [NECN]4-Alarm Fire Destroys Bagel Shop, Law Firm
    Firefighters in Newburyport, Massachusetts, knocked down a four-alarm fire at a bagel shop and law firm Tuesday morning. (Published Tuesday, June 28, 2016)

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android