Officials: R.I. Toddler Died of Invasive Strep - NECN
Rhode Island

Rhode Island

The latest news from around the state

Officials: R.I. Toddler Died of Invasive Strep

There is no threat to public health

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Officials: R.I. Toddler Died of Invasive Strep
    FILE - Getty Images

    The Rhode Island Department of Health says a toddler who died earlier this week had an invasive streptococcal infection, not a meningococcal bacterial infection as originally suspected.

    The state health director, Dr. Nicole Alexander-Scott, said the department confirmed the cause of death Thursday.

    Alexander-Scott says the child developed a rare complication of a very common type of streptococcal infection, commonly called strep. She says the public health standard is to treat a suspected bacterial infection as meningococcal.

    She says there's no threat to public health.

    The 13-month-old child died Tuesday. The child's name hasn't been released.

    Thirteen children at Children's Workshop in Warren, the victim's day care, were given antibiotics for meningococcal bacteria as a precaution. The Health Department worked with the day care to identify the victim's close contacts.

    For up-to-the-minute news and weather, be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook. Sign up for our new breaking news email alerts by clicking here and download our free apps here.