Officials Say Smoking Materials Caused Fatal Fire in Nashua, New Hampshire | NECN
New Hampshire

New Hampshire

The latest news from around the state

Officials Say Smoking Materials Caused Fatal Fire in Nashua, New Hampshire

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Officials Say Smoking Materials Caused Fatal Fire in Nashua, New Hampshire
    Steve Buxton

    The state fire marshal's office says a fire that killed a Nashua woman and prompted two other people to jump from a second-story window was caused by careless disposal of smoking materials.

    Authorities said Thursday the April 13 fire started in the area of a couch on the front porch of the multi-family home on Girouard Avenue in Nashua. Investigators say smoking materials started the fire.

    Thirty-seven-year-old Maria Barriga-Consoni died of smoke inhalation in the fire. The people who jumped from the second-story window were not injured.

    State Fire Marshal William Degnan says that almost 1,000 smokers and non-smokers nationwide each year are killed in house fires caused by cigarettes and other smoking materials. 

    For up-to-the-minute news and weather, be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook. Sign up for our new breaking news email alerts by clicking here and download our free apps here.