Officials: Space Heater Caused House Fire - NECN
Maine

Maine

The latest news from around the state

Officials: Space Heater Caused House Fire

Firefighters responded to a two-alarm fire at 20 State Street in Augusta, Maine, Tuesday morning, according to NECN affiliate WCSH.

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Officials: Space Heater Caused House Fire
    WCSH

    Firefighters responded to a two-alarm fire at 20 State Street in Augusta, Maine, Tuesday morning, according to NECN affiliate WCSH.

    The fire first broke out around 6:20 a.m. and quickly went to two-alarms. State Street was shut down between Bond and Bridge Streets as crews work to put out the flames.

    All five people inside the home have made it out safely. No one was injured. A disaster team from the American Red Cross is also on site to help the people displaced from the fire.

    The Augusta Fire Department has ruled the cause as accidental. Fire officials said Tuesday that the fire started because of a space heater malfunction.

    This is the second fire to break out in Augusta in a matter of days. On Friday, a fire destroyed a multi-unit apartment building on Northern Ave., injuring seven people and displacing all 27 who lived there.

    For up-to-the-minute news and weather, be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook. Sign up for our new breaking news email alerts by clicking here and download our free apps here.