Vermont's Health Department has put out a warning about the wild parsnip, a common roadside plant that can cause serious skin reactions to people exposed to its sap in sunlight.
The department says contact with the sap causes a chemical burn. The sap is exposed when the plant is cut or knocked down. Reactions start about 24 to 48 hours after contact with the sap and sunlight and includes redness, burns similar to second-degree sunburns, painful rashes and raised blisters.
The department says the plant is a member of the carrot family reaching heights of 2 to 4 feet with leaves that resemble celery leaves and yellow flowers that look similar to Queen Anne's Lace.
People who get sap on their skin should wash it with soap and water and protect skin from sunlight for at least 48 hours