Smoking Blamed for Apartment Fire - NECN
Maine

Maine

The latest news from around the state

Smoking Blamed for Apartment Fire

The improper disposal of smoking materials is being blamed on a fire at a South Portland, Maine, apartment building

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Smoking Blamed for Apartment Fire
    FILE/Getty Images

    The improper disposal of smoking materials is being blamed on a fire at a South Portland, Maine, apartment building.

    The two-alarm fire broke out in the four-unit building on Grandview Avenue just after 10 p.m. Sunday.

    Lt. Robb Couture said in a statement that three of the four units were occupied and all the residents made it out safely.

    He says the fire started on a porch in the rear of the building and extended to the main structure. The porch and a utility room were heavily damaged by fire, while three of the units sustained smoke and water damage.

    The building had working smoke detectors.

    No initial estimates of damage were available.

    The Portland and Scarborough fire departments assisted.

    For up-to-the-minute news and weather, be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook. Sign up for our new breaking news email alerts by clicking here and download our free apps here.