Son of Missing Couple Indicted on Federal Gun Charge - NECN

Son of Missing Couple Indicted on Federal Gun Charge

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Son of Missing Couple Indicted on Federal Gun Charge
    Weston Forum/NBCConnecticut.com
    Sources have told NBC Connecticut that Kyle Navin, pictured here on the Staples High School hockey team in 2006, is a person of interest in his parents' disappearance.

    The son of a missing Easton, Connecticut couple, was indicted Thursday on a federal gun charge, and sources have told NBC Connecticut he's a person of interest in his parents' disappearance.

    Kyle Navin, 27, of Bridgeport, has been charged with possession of a firearm by someone who is illegally using or addicted to a controlled substance, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.

    He has been in custody since he was arrested on Sept. 8 and a federal grand jury returned an indictment on Thursday.

    State, local and federal authorities searched Kyle Navin's home last month as part of the investigation into his parents' disappearance.

    They discovered two guns and several rounds of ammunition in his bedroom, along with evidence of heroin use, empty bottles of oxycodone and other prescription drugs, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.

    A search of his cellphone revealed text messages discussing Navin's use of heroin, oxycodone and Xanax.

    Investigators also found a receipt from a shooting range dated Aug. 5, the day after his parents, Jeffrey and Jeanette Navin, disappeared from their Easton home.

    Jeffrey Navin, 56, serves as president of the J&J Refuse sanitation company in Westport, while Jeanette Navin, 55, works as a school library aide in Weston. Police said they had recently moved to Easton from Westport.

    Kyle Navin works as operations manager of J&J Refuse and told police the family was in the process of selling the company, according to search warrants obtained by NBC Connecticut.

    Police records indicate Kyle Navin saw his parents the morning they vanished. According to the warrants, Jeffrey and Jeanette Navin visited him and asked to take him out to dinner, but Kyle Navin said he had a broken back and declined.

    That was the last anyone heard from Jeffrey and Jeanette Navin.

    Kyle Navin's arraignment has not been scheduled. He could face up to 10 years in prison if convicted.

    It's not clear if he has an attorney.