Facebook Allows Postings of 'Napalm Girl' Photo After Debate | NECN

Facebook Allows Postings of 'Napalm Girl' Photo After Debate

The revolt escalated on Friday when Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg posted the image on her profile and Facebook deleted that too

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Linda Deutsch/AP
    In 1972, Associated Press photographer Nick Ut, right, shot the iconic image of then 9-year-old Kim Phuc, left, running naked down Route 1 near Trang Bang after an aerial napalm attack on her village in Vietnam. She is shown here reunited with Mr. Ut at the Los Angeles bureau of the Associated Press, June 27, 2016.

    Facebook on Friday reversed its decision to remove postings of an iconic 1972 image of a naked, screaming girl running from a napalm attack in Vietnam, after a Norwegian revolt against the tech giant.

    Protests in Norway started last month after Facebook deleted the Pulitzer Prize-winning image by Associated Press photographer Nick Ut from a Norwegian author's page, saying it violated its rules on nudity.

    The revolt escalated on Friday when Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg posted the image on her profile and Facebook deleted that too.

    Initially, it stood by the decision, saying it was difficult to create a distinction between allowing a photograph of a nude child in one instance and not others. But late Friday it said it would allow sharing of the photo.

    Pence to Conservatives: 'This Is Our Time'

    [NATL] Pence to Conservatives: 'This Is Our Time'
    Vice President Mike Pence spoke at the Conservative Political Action Conference Thursday evening in National Harbor, Maryland. It was the ninth time that Pence has spoken at the gathering, but the first in his new role as vice president.
    (Published 34 minutes ago)

    "In this case, we recognize the history and global importance of this image in documenting a particular moment in time," Facebook said in a statement. "Because of its status as an iconic image of historical importance, the value of permitting sharing outweighs the value of protecting the community by removal, so we have decided to reinstate the image on Facebook where we are aware it has been removed."

    Politicians of all stripes, journalists and regular Norwegians had backed Solberg's decision to share the image.

    The prime minister told Norwegian broadcaster NRK she was pleased with Facebook's change of heart and that it shows social media users' opinions matter. 

    "To speak up and say we want change, it matters and it works. And that makes me happy," she said. 

    The image shows screaming children running from a burning Vietnamese village. The little girl in in the center of the frame, Kim Phuc, is naked and crying as the napalm melts away layers of her skin.

    "Today, pictures are such an important element in making an impression, that if you edit past events or people, you change history and you change reality," Solberg told the AP earlier Friday, adding it was the first time one of her Facebook posts was deleted.

    Solberg later reposted the image with a black box covering the girl from the thighs up. She also posted other iconic photos of historic events, such as the man standing in front of a tank in Beijing's Tiananmen Square in 1989, with black boxes covering the protagonists.

    Like its Scandinavian neighbors, Norway takes pride in its freedom of speech. It's also a largely secular nation with relaxed attitudes about nudity.

    Good Samaritans Save Boy From Sea

    [DFW-NATL] Good Samaritans Save Boy From Sea
    A South Korean family visiting Hawaii is grateful for the Good Samaritans who helped rescue their young son from rough waves on Oahu's North Shore.
    (Published Thursday, Feb. 23, 2017)

    Several members of the Norwegian government followed Solberg's lead and posted the photo on their Facebook pages. One of them, Education Minister Torbjorn Roe Isaksen, said it was "an iconic photo, part of our history."

    Many of the posts were deleted but Isaksen's was still up Friday afternoon. The photo was also left untouched on a number of Facebook accounts, including the AP's.

    It would be physically impossible for the company to comb through the hundreds of millions of photos posted each day so it relies on user reports and algorithms to weed out pictures that go against its terms of service.

    Photos are often automatically removed if enough people report them. Facebook usually does not proactively remove photos, with some exceptions, such as child pornography.

    'Father of the Selfie' Takes Self Portraits for 3 Decades

    [NATL] 'Father of the Selfie' Takes Self Portraits Every Day for 3 Decades
    Photographer Karl Baden takes self portraits for different reasons that any other person might. His life-long photography project "Every Day" was meant to document his aging, with the first photo taken on Feb. 23, 1987 three decades ago and a daily self portrait taken ever since. Baden, the "Father of the Selfie," says he intends to do the project for the rest of his life.
    (Published Thursday, Feb. 23, 2017)

    Because of this, what photos are and aren't removed can sometimes be inconsistent, and sometimes leads to Facebook reinstating the photos after removing them.

    Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten published the photo on its front page Friday and also wrote an open letter to Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg in which chief editor Espen Egil Hansen accused the social media giant of abusing its power.

    Hansen said he was "upset, disappointed — well, in fact even afraid — of what you are about to do to a mainstay of our democratic society."

    The uproar also spread outside of Norway, with the head of Denmark's journalism union urging people to share Hansen's open letter. Germany's Justice Minister Heiko Maas, who has previously clashed with Facebook over its failure to remove hate speech deemed illegal in Germany, also weighed in, saying "illegal content should vanish from the Internet, not photos that move the whole world."

    Facebook's statement said it will adjust its review mechanisms to permit sharing of the image going forward.

    "We are always looking to improve our policies to make sure they both promote free expression and keep our community safe, and we will be engaging with publishers and other members of our global community on these important questions going forward," it said.

    Paul Colford, AP vice president and director of media relations, said: "The Associated Press is proud of Nick Ut's photo and recognizes its historical impact. In addition, we reserve our rights to this powerful image."

    Before it was published 44 years ago, AP also had a discussion about the image because it violated the news agency's policy on full-frontal nudity.

    Caught on Video: Tiger Knocks Drone out of the Sky

    [BAY-NATL] Caught on Video: Tiger Knocks Drone out of the Sky
    Incredible video captured at a Siberian tiger enclosure in Northeast China. China's state broadcaster released this footage showing the animals chasing a drone until one jumps up and knocks it out of the sky. Footage from a second camera shows the tigers gathering around the drone on the ground and tearing into it until they were scared away because it started smoking. Staff members say they use drone chasing to keep the tigers fit.
    (Published Thursday, Feb. 23, 2017)

    Hal Buell, then AP's executive news photo editor in New York, said he received a message from Saigon photo editor Horst Faas saying a "controversial picture" was coming up.

    "Maybe we discussed it on the desk for 10-15 minutes," said Buell, who is now retired. "But there is nothing about this picture that is prurient. How can we not publish this picture? It captures the horrors of war. It captures the terrible situation of innocents caught in the cross-fire of the war."

    AP published the image and media worldwide used it, though some chose not to, Buell said.