Firefighters dispatched to a blaze over the weekend were surprised by the discovery of a marijuana growing operation located inside the burning home in western Massachusetts.
The Springfield Republican reports the fire was reported around 5:21 a.m. Sunday at a home on Horace Street in Springfield's Forest Park neighborhood.
Officials say the cause of the fire was an overheated radiator pipe. The blaze caused approximately $20,000 in damage and displaced three residents.
Firefighters entered the structure and found marijuana plants growing in a room in the home.
Dennis Leger, executive aide to Fire Commissioner Joseph Conant, says the information was turned over to the Springfield Police Department.